SW6 — It’s been a really great World Cup. I am watching it with some South Africans. They were the ones saying it might be a train-crash of a tournament. And now they’re proud.
And they’re suddenly feeling quite Dutch too.
Here are 5 things I have learned that also translate into the workplace:
1. The noisiest manager aren’t necessarily the best. (Stand up England, Argentina, France…)
2. Pretending to be sick, creating dramatics and appealing to higher authorities regularly doesn’t advance you career.
3. Sometimes things are unfair. Suck it up and carry on.
4. Sometimes you can prepare for years, practice like crazy, travel a great distance… and get stretchered off after 5 minutes.
5. Even when you get a result, you will be penalised if you take off your shirt and run around screaming.