LONDON — It’s fair to say that people who are deeply suspicious of… everything… have had a banner week.
- The President of the United States of America released his birth certificate. Why?
- Friday’s Royal Wedding was staged to get a FIFA vote for a UK World Cup. Obviously.
- OBL wasn’t really killed. Not this week, anyway.
And you can have fun with other stats too:
- Only 40% of Americans believe in evolution.
- 88% accept alternative medicine.
- Over 40 million people bought Rick Astley records.
Who ARE these people?! you might ask.
The world’s gone mad. And I wouldn’t argue with you.
But at work it seems that all bets are off.
- The top executives lie awake at night thinking about how to make your life hell.
- Someone is making a killing in this business (and it’s not me.)
- My boss is an egoist, got promoted for being flexible, likes to hurt people, steals all my good ideas.
- If the world were just, I would be the CEO.
- They’re reading my email.
- They’re counting the biscuits.
- They won’t offer us fruit because they want us to get scurvy.
- ‘They’ are people I don’t know… but boy are they powerful.
Time and experience tends to suggest that there is no ‘they’.
Sometimes you find that out by being invited to the secret management meetings. Sometimes it’s when the boss confesses about what really keeps her up at night… and it’s a fear of seagulls.
Occasionally it’s that crushing realisation that maybe the other guy actually got there by working harder than you.
That’s the worst.
But look at it this way: At least you never bought a Rick Astley single.
P.S. You what?